'Lost Community'

by Kevin Austin


The 'Lost Community' represents four generations of houses, corner shops and businesses all demolished under the shadow of the mighty Anglican Cathedral. The foundations for the Cathedral were first laid in 1904 with the final completion of the Cathedral interrupted by two world wars in 1977. By which time all buildings had disappeared under a city demolition programme. Washington Street central in the picture and running up to the Cathedral is fairly accurately depicted with the Bents Pub and small factory across the road.